The editorial department of the magazine Young Animal of Hakusensha and the creator of the manga, Koji Moriannounced that the manga Berserk of the deceased Kentarou Miura will continue from this year’s thirteenth edition of the magazine Young Animalthe 24th of June. The manga will first have six chapters that will run until the end of the “Fantasy Arc/Island of the Elves Arc“, and later a new plot arc will begin.
The full statement writes:
- To our readers: We are going to resume serialization of Berserk. Please accept our apologies for the long wait before we can make this announcement.
- We have read as many of your comments as possible on the “Dai Berserk-ten (The Great Berserk Exhibition)”, the “Young Animal Memorial Issue (Young Animal 2021 No.18)” and the “Berserk Volume 41”. We are very grateful for each and every one of your words and for the messages you have sent us through social networks. We are truly touched by the love you all have for Berserk and the influence it has had on your lives. It is really sad that Kentaro Miura himself is not here to read his comments with us.
- Before his passing, Kentaro Miura spoke with his great friend Kouji Mori about the stories and episodes he had in mind for Berserk. He also had similar conversations with his studio staff and publisher. He wondered: would everyone be surprised if he drew something like this? How about a character like this? Would this argument be interesting? These conversations were not his last words, but were part of his ordinary days as a manga artist.
- Those ordinary days continued for more than a quarter of a century. Our minds and hearts are still filled with the thoughts that Mr. Miura shared with us during that time. We’ve also found notes of ideas he wrote down and character designs he drew and left behind. We didn’t want to end his story without sharing it with his fans. Our wish is for everyone to read the latest episode we’ve put together, down to the very last frame.
- In resuming the series, our production team decided on a basic policy. “Mr. Miura said so.” This is what the production team took into account. Since he did not leave drafts, it is impossible for us to create a manuscript exactly as he would have wanted. However, we will write the manga so as not to deviate from Mr. Miura’s own words. We would like to take the “Kentaro Miura” that we knew so fondly through our conversations and works and sincerely transmit it to all of you. We believe that this policy, although imperfect, is the best way to bring the Berserk that Mr. Miura imagined to everyone in the most faithful way possible.
- Starting with the next issue, we will first publish six chapters until the end of the “Fantasy Arc/Elf Island Arc”. After this, we will start a new arc. The credits after the resumption will be “Original Work by Kentaro Miura, Manga by Studio Gaga, Supervision by Kouji Mori”, and the numbering of the manga books will continue in order.
- If we look back, the first volume of Berserk was published in 1990, with 28,000 copies of the first edition. It was not an immediate success and only a small group of people knew about it. Still, he attracted avid fans and was able to hold his interest because people could sense Mr. Miura’s desire to perfect his art. After a while, Berserk became a huge success thanks to Mr. Miura’s extraordinary efforts and good luck. Currently, the first volume has been read by 2 million people around the world. We believe that Berserk has touched the hearts of many fans, and Mr. Miura would be happy to know that his thoughts have had a great influence on people’s lives and work. We hope that everyone will continue to have the same connection to Berserk in the next chapters.
- Thank you to all the fans who have messaged us. We also thank the many fans who quietly supported the manga with their thoughts. Each of you will be the source of our energy as we move forward. We are truly grateful to all of you.
Kentaro Miura was born on July 11, 1966 in Chiba Prefecture. At the young age of ten, Miura wrote her first manga, titled miuranger, which was published by his peers through the journalism club, and which lasted for forty volumes. Later, in 1982, Miura began his study of the arts in high school and at the age of 18 he worked as an assistant to the creator George Morikawaauthor of Hajime no Ippo.
Morikawa quickly noticed Miura’s artistic talent and dismissed him, noting that he had practically nothing more to teach him. In 1989 he would start the publication of the manga Berserk through the magazine Monthly Animal House from the publisher Hakusenha. The manga moved to the magazine Young Animal where it remained until the author’s death.
Synopsis for Berserk
Now marked for death and destined to be haunted by demons until the day he dies, Guts embarks on a journey to defy such a ghastly fate, as waves of beasts relentlessly chase him. Arming his resolve, he takes up the monstrous Dragonslayer Sword and swears revenge on the one responsible, hunting down the very man he once admired and considered a friend. Along the way, he meets some unlikely allies, like a little elf named Puck and Isidro, a young thief looking to learn swordsmanship from the former mercenary. As the ragtag group slowly comes together having decided to join Guts on his quest, they will face incredible danger like they have never experienced before.
Font: Official site
© 三浦建太郎 (著) / HAKUSENSHA 白泉社