Jujutsu Kaisen and Tokyo Revengers dominated in sales in the first half of this year
the japanese platform Oricon released its sales report for the first half of 2022 in Japan on the manga publishing market (i.e. number of copies sold of compilation volumes in total). As expected, the manga written and illustrated by Gege Akutami, jujutsu kaisengot the first position with a difference of more than 30 percent with respect to the second position.
The full listing includes:
- 10. BlueLockby Muneyuki Kaneshiro Y Yusuke Nomura – 1,558,323 copies sold.
- 9. Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress Up Darling), by Shinichi Fukuda – 1,723,644 copies sold (10.60 percent more than the previous position).
- 8. Kaijuu 8-gou (Monster No. 8), by Naoya Matsumoto – 1,858,391 copies sold (7.82 percent more than the previous position).
- 7. Mystery to Iu nakare (Do Not Say Mystery), by yumi tamura – 2,492,813 copies sold (34.14 percent more than the previous position).
- 6. Kimetsu no Yaibaby Koyoharu Gotouge – 2,555,433 copies sold (2.51 percent more than the previous position).
- 5. Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia), by Kohei Horikoshi – 2,894,149 copies sold (13.25 percent more than the previous position).
- 4.One Pieceby Eiichiro Oda – 4,155,790 copies sold (43.59 percent more than the previous position).
- 3. SPY x FAMILYby Tatsuya Endo – 4,835,705 copies sold (16.36 percent more than the previous position).
- 2.Tokyo Avengersby ken wakui – 7,200,532 copies sold (48.90 percent more than the previous position).
- 1. Jujutsu Kaisenby Gege Akutami – 9,382,099 copies sold (30.30 percent more than the previous position).
Synopsis of Jujutsu Kaisen
High school student Yuuji Itadori, who engages in groundless paranormal activities with the Occult Club, spends his days either in the club room or in the hospital, where he visits his bedridden grandfather. However, this leisurely lifestyle soon takes a turn for the bizarre when he unknowingly comes across a cursed item. Unleashing a chain of supernatural events, Yuuji finds himself suddenly plunged into the world of curses – terrible beings formed from human evil and negativity – after swallowing said object, which is revealed to be a finger belonging to the demon Sukuna Ryoumen, the “King of Curses”.
Yuuji experiences firsthand the threat these Curses pose to society as he discovers his own newfound powers. Introduced into the Tokyo Metropolitan Jujutsu Technical School, he begins to walk a path from which he will not be able to return: that of a Jujutsu sorcerer.
Font: WSJ Manga