During the event Jump Party 2023 more details were revealed for the new anime adaptation of the manga written and illustrated by Nobuhiro Watsuki, Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story). The press release included a new promotional video for the project, which confirms that the premiere is scheduled for 2023 in Japan.
New members of the voice cast were also revealed, including:
- Makoto Koichi like Yahiko Myōjin.
- taku yashiro Like Sanosuke Sagara.
Watsuki published the original manga through the magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump from the publisher Shueisha between April 1994 and September 1999, compiling the work in a total of twenty-eight volumes, although it was later reprinted in a total of twenty-two. Studio Gallop, Studio Deen and studies SPE Visual Works handled the animated adaptations of the franchise, which aired in Japan between January 1996 and September 1998.
- soma saitou like Kenshin Himura.
- Rie Takahashi like Kaoru Kamiya.
- Hideyo Yamamoto (Strike the Blood, Hataraku Saibou Black, Code:Realize – Sousei no Himegimi) is in charge of directing the anime at the studios LIDEN FILMS.
- Hideyuki Kurata (Made in Abyss, Goblin Slayer, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai) is in charge of writing and supervising the scripts.
- Terumi Nishii (JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 4: Diamond wa Kudakenai, Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie, Mawaru Penguindrum) is in charge of character design and animation direction.
- Yuu Takami (Kono Yo no Hate de Koi wo Utau Shoujo YU-NO, RAINBOW: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin) is in charge of composing the soundtrack.
Synopsis for Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
It is the 16th year of the Meiji era. Five years have passed since Kenshin Himura stopped Makoto Shishio’s uprising. Though the flames of his fledgling revolution have been extinguished, the scars left in his wake are still felt across Japan. Remnants of his group still exist, though scattered. Some have found peace, while others continue to fight. After a remaining faction tried to revive the revolution, Shishio’s old sword fell into the hands of Ashitarou Hasegawa, an orphan boy who has never known a home. The conflict also leaves Aran Inoue, a half-Japanese, half-American 16-year-old boy, and a mercenary girl named Asahi Kubota with a heavy price to pay, with nowhere else to go.
But luckily for these individuals, the Kamiya dojo has always been a place that accepts wanderers without delving into their pasts. The three want to start over, so when two members of Asahi’s former clan show up demanding her return, Asahi refuses and things start to turn sour. Amid the chaos, the clansmen drop a package containing a photo of Kaoru Kamiya’s dojo father, presumably deceased, and his location: Takodate, Hokkaido. With only this information, the members of the Kamiya dojo embark on an adventure across the sea in hopes of finding news about Kaoru’s father and the reason why he is persecuted.
Fountain: Official site